Name: Elvira "Elvi" Figueroa
Hometown: Richmond, CA
Position(s) played: Flanker/Hooker
All Blues since: 2017
● How did you find out about us (i.e. what/who got you to come to your first AB practice?)
I first wanted to join a women's football team but it was too far away so I looked up local football and rugby teams and found you guys!
● When and how did you first start playing rugby? What got you into it?
I started playing in 2014 at CSU Monterey Bay when the team was just starting out. I have played sports all my life and was constantly fouling out of basketball so I needed a sport I could be more physical in.
● Do you have a philosophy/mindset when you practice and play rugby? How do you get into “the zone”?
My mindset is always on how am I going to help my team win, what is my job and how am I going to accomplish this. I listen to music a lot before warm up and that gets me pumped up. I love playing either EDM or Alternative music, especially right before a game!
● What is your best memory, thus far, as an All Blue? What do you like most about being on this team?
There are so many memories from socials to games but my favorite memory was my first try of my career as an All Blue. It was an indescribable feeling!
● Is there a particular player and/or coach that have influenced your development as a player? In what way(s) did they help you?
My first coach actually plays for SJ [the San Jose Seahawks]. Coach Leni taught me my basics years ago and really got me into rugby.
● What is the best advice you have ever received about playing rugby?
The best advice I ever received was to keep moving my feet and to keep going forward. That’s really helped me especially as a smaller forward.
● What is your favorite non-rugby activity?
I have a ton of hobbies but I love going to raves and making costumes for them!
● Anything else you’d like to share with us?
I'm really into anime and manga... I'm a huge nerd and have a bunch of subscriptions.